HDFC Bank Limited
Mr. Aditya Puri is the Managing Director of HDFC Bank since its inception in 1994. His vision was to create a “World Class Indian Bank”. And, he did. HDFC Bank is one of India’s top banks and a truly World Class Indian Bank for many years now.
During his 22 years at the helm, Mr. Puri has created a culture of excellence in the bank. A great advocate of technology and convenience banking, he is credited with using technology to change the way banking is done in India. Today, the concept of digital is embedded into the DNA of the organization. Mr. Puri has been an instrumental part of the digital transformation, launching the bank’s ‘Go Digital - Bank Aapki Muthhi Mein’ campaign in December 2014.
From the range of products to their delivery to sheer convenience of banking, HDFC Bank today has made significant strides in the banking space, and was recognized as India’s Most Valuable Brand for three consecutive years 2014, 2015, and 2016, in a study conducted by Millward Brown, a research agency of the WPP group.
Rural Banking is a mission that is very close to Mr Puri’s heart. Under his guidance, HDFC Bank is empowering millions of people, particularly women, at the Bottom of the Pyramid in rural India through its Sustainable Livelihood Initiative. Through this holistic initiative, the Bank provides access to livelihood finance, occupational training, financial literacy, credit counseling and market linkages to the participants.
HDFC Bank’s branch network is also going deeper into the hinterland, with 54% of all its branches now located in rural and semi-urban areas, offering the entire range of banking products in these markets.
Mr. Puri was featured at 36th position in Fortune Businessperson of the year 2016 list, an annual ranking of world's top 50 heads of companies. Mr. Puri is the only head of an Indian company on the coveted list. He was also the only Indian business leader to feature in the list of the World’s 30 best CEOs for the second consecutive year, published by financial magazine Barron's in March 2016.
At the Financial Express Best Banks Awards 2016, Mr Puri was honoured with ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ for his outstanding contribution to the Indian banking industry. He was also named the Outstanding Business Leader of the Year at the CNBC-TV18 India Business Leader Awards (IBLA) 2015-16.
Prior to HDFC Bank, Mr. Puri was Chief Executive of Citi Bank, Malaysia. He was with Citibank NA for almost 20 years where he handled several functions across many countries including India, Greece, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan and China. In Hong Kong he was responsible for Credit & Market Risk for North Asia and also included positioning Citibank for the take-over of Hong Kong by China. Mr. Puri was Country Head, Institutional Banking for India, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh.
Mr Puri is a commerce graduate from Punjab University and a qualified Chartered Accountant.
Awards & Accolades:
Mr. Aditya Puri has received many awards and recognitions in his illustrious career. Some of them are:
• Lifetime Achievement Award – The Financial Express Best Banks Awards 2015-16
• Outstanding Business Leader of the year 2015-16 – CNBC TV 18 IBLA
• Banker of the Year– Business Standard for the years 2016, 2013, 2008
• Annual ranking of world’s top 50 heads of companies – Fortune
• World’s 30 Best CEOs, 2015, 2016 – Barron’s
• Best CEO in Asia 2014 and 2015 – Finance Asia Poll
• Business Leader of the Year 2015- AIMA Managing India Awards
• Best CEO, BFSI sector in the Business Today-PwC survey of India's Best CEOs 2013
• Listed among the top 10 Most ‘Valueable CEOs in India according to the Business World survey in 2013”.
• Listed among the Top 10 Most Powerful CEOs in India, 2013 by The Economic Times Corporate Dossier in its Most Powerful CEOs survey conducted by IMRB International.
• Voted Best CEO in Asia in the banking sector based - Institutional Investor in July 2013.
• Banker of the Year 2013 – FE Best Banks Awards.
• Business Leader of the year 2010 – Economic Times Awards for Corporate Excellence.
• The only Indian Banker on Institutional Investor’s Asian captains of Finance List 2010.
• Business India Businessman of the year 2009.
• Best Innovative Banker - FE INDIA’s Best Banks Awards 2009.
• Best CEO in India 2009: Finance Asia annual poll of Investors and Analysts .
• GQ India's Man of the Year (Business).
• CNN-IBN Indian Businessman of the Year 2008.
HDFC Bank has won several national and international awards and recognition under the able stewardship of Mr. Aditya Puri. For a complete list of awards click the link: http://www.hdfcbank.com/aboutus/awards/default.htm